Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Docs and the New Image of Thrift

In my last post I talked about an unfortunate event that occurred after I cleaned some recently thrifted boots. Today I would like to talk about how all was made up for when I finally thrifted my first pair of Dr. Martens.

A couple of weekends ago I had the opportunity to visit the new Salvation Army in Chicago. The store wants to bring a New Image of Thrift (and is even using it as their tag line) to those who connect negative connotations to the idea of thrifting. I myself love thrifting and love the idea of going through mounds of clothes to find that treasure, but who can complain about clean aisles, sorted clothes and good lighting? I have to admit, I was a tad disappointed about the amount of clothing I found with consignment store pricing. I am a firm believer that thrift store prices should have a cap because while I am a person that thrifts as a hobby there are plenty of people who thrift out of necessity. Despite the overpriced Target clearance items, I was able to find some very reasonably priced vintage items, many books and my favorite find of the day...these!

For a long while now I've been hoping to come across a pair of Docs in my size. Granted, low rise didn't cross my mind but I seriously couldn't be happier with this pair. I texted my sister as soon as I found them and told her "They're so ugly that they're cute!" and that is what I love about them. I feel like they will go with so much, and to top it all off they have flowers embossed on the side. If you follow me on Instagram (windycitythrifter) you may notice that I have a slight flower obsession so these fit right in with my wardrobe. Oh yeah, and the last requirement, my size. I am a tall girl and so naturally I have large feet (size 10 or 11 depending on the brand) and so I couldn't be more thrilled when these fit me like a glove.

Ok. enough gushing about these shoes but I thought I would counteract the drama of my last shoe post with the joy of my latest find. I'll keep you posted on if I find any others. Cherry red Docs are next on my list...

No comments:

Post a Comment