Friday, October 18, 2013

Maleficent: A Look at the New E.L.F. Disney Villains Palettes

 Hello everyone! Today I am bringing you a review of the third Disney Villain E.L.F. palette: Maleficent. 

Maleficent is perhaps the Disney villain that I know the least about. She definitely looks the most evil in my opinion. Something about the angles of her silhouette screams "I'm evil!" to me. 

Anyway, onto the palette. 
Just like the other palettes, this one also comes with a mascara, pencil liner, liquid eyeliner, shadow brush, eye primer, 6 pan palette and lip cream. I realized that in my previous reviews I didn't review the other products of the palette such as the mascara, eyeliner, etc. so I thought I would do that now. 

When I used the Cruella DeVil palette I decided to use the other products and unfortunately I wasn't in love with many of them. I'll start with what I did like: the shadow brush. I have a ton of this kind of E.L.F. brush in my collection and I wasn't disappointed to get more. This is perfect for packing color onto the lid for an intense color. I also like the eye shadow primer, but be careful to use a light amount. Too much and it will make your lids greasy. The pencil eye liner is all right, but I have better in my stash. Onto what I didn't love: the mascara. This is fine for a day that you want your eye lashes to look natural...like really natural. It gives some length but almost no volume. I used the liquid eye liner from my Cruella De Vil kit and it completely malfunctioned on me and ran all over and into my eye. I have used an E.L.F. liquid eye liner before (a very long time ago) and I thought I liked it. I don't know if they changed the formula or if this one was defective, but I have been scared to try any of the others. 
Top: Flora, Fauna, Spell
Bottom: Deep Sleep, Thorns, Raven Black

I used Flora on my inner corner, brow bone and on my lid for a base color. Then I used Fauna in my crease and Spell in my outer corner. There was some fall out with Flora, so make sure to tap your brush to get rid of any excess shadow. I did find it sort of difficult to blend Spell, but with a little finagling I did get it to blend out to how I wanted it. 
I'm pretty happy with the look I created using the eye shadow colors but unfortunately it isn't one I would throw in my purse for on the go. You can't really create a light, day time look with this palette, and while the lip color is gorgeous, it is just too dark to match with the eye looks you can create with this palette. 
Shirt: Old Navy (on sale now!)/Jeans: Thrifted/Boots: Lost Girls Vintage/Beanie: Urban Outfitters
As for my Maleficent inspired look I stuck with black and green. Those are the colors I think of when I think of this Disney Villain, and now I notice that I have been wearing a lot of black with these Disney villain inspired looks. It is a very comfy outfit and the silhouette of the flowy top reminds me of her magnificent robes. 

All in all, more of a night time palette. You can create a really beautiful smokey look should you choose, and a lighter smokey look for the day time, like I chose. 

I was just in Walgreens yesterday and they have some additions to this Disney Villains line, like hair accessories and nail art. Will you be taking a look at those soon? 

I also noticed some holiday palettes they have out. I'm considering getting one of them to try out. Maybe you will see another drugstore palette review soon. And remember, my Ursula palette review will be out soon! Get ready for the most colorful palette of the bunch :)


No comments:

Post a Comment